Wednesday, October 09, 2013

Are you my neighbor?


 These guys. Praise the Lord for them.
David Platt: Radical
Francis Chan: Crazy Love

Life-changing books, I recommend them with the highest level of recommendation. That's redundant, but I guess it's okay in this case. I can't express the level at which I wish you would read those books. First Crazy Love, then Radical.

Light Bearers

Philippians 2:12 Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling; 13 for it is God who works in you both to will and to do for His good pleasure.
14 Do all things without complaining and disputing, 15 that you may become blameless and harmless, children of God without fault in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation, among whom you shine as lights in the world, 16 holding fast the word of life, so that I may rejoice in the day of Christ that I have not run in vain or labored in vain.
17 Yes, and if I am being poured out as a drink offering on the sacrifice and service of your faith, I am glad and rejoice with you all. 18 For the same reason you also be glad and rejoice with me.


The Scribes: Which Is the First Commandment of All?

Matthew 22:34 But when the Pharisees heard that He had silenced the Sadducees, they gathered together. 35 Then one of them, a lawyer, asked Him a question, testing Him, and saying, 36 “Teacher, which is the great commandment in the law?”
37 Jesus said to him, “‘You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.’[d] 38 This is the first and great commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’[e] 40 On these two commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets.”


What is your answer to loving your neighbor as yourself? Who is your neighbor? Whose story tugs at your heart? Which situation hovers at the fringes of you heart, waiting to be embraced? Whose champion are you?

What would you wish for yourself if you were in that place? If you were him? If you were her?
How urgent would the need seem to you then? Would you wish for someone to please act NOW? And not wait till their kids' college funds were solid? Would you hope that maybe someone would delay that new cool phone and send some food, clothes, and Light?

North Korea needs those things...Are they your neighbor?

Who is your neighbor?

As I say to my kids (mostly about things like vacuuming the cobwebs off  the underside of the Hoosier):

"If you don't do it, who will?"

That's right- no one. So it will never get done.

No comments:

About Me

About Me
I love Jesus, my hubby, my 6 kiddos, my farm, good books and good food.