Thursday, October 09, 2008

Hi all, I just received this email from Kathy Kuss- I think I personally am suffering from a little bit of lung imbalance, and this garlic recipe sounds really good to me, so I thought I would share.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As the fall weather arrives, you begin to feel the changes as your body adjusts to, and prepares for cooler weather. Fall is a time of harvesting, of pulling in and building up energy reserves for winter. It is a time of planning, regrouping our thoughts and evaluating our goals. I often reflect on the fall as a time when the winds of change are blowing, a time when you need to listen to your body and your life and make changes where they are needed.

In Chinese medicine the Metal element rules the fall season. The Metal element is a poetic description that represents your lungs, colon and skin. This is the time of year when we become susceptible to colds, coughs, mucus congestion, bronchitis, constipation and skin conditions. The Metal element is represented by the symbol of the sword and shield, because it is considered the controlling force that governs your immune system and protects your body from invaders. This is the time of year to pay special attention to building your immune system so it is strong during the winter months. It is also the time of year to do a colon cleanse, especially if you are constipated or have a sluggish colon (less than 2 good bowel movements per day), this will indirectly improve your lungs, sinus and immune system. Emotionally this is the time to let go of negative old ideas and make room for new and positive thinking. Let go of past mistakes and losses and reach for what is new and promising before you.

Signs of Metal (lung energy) Imbalance

Asthma / mucus congestion/ bronchitis / allergies/ sore throats
Weak immune system prone to catching colds and flu
Shallow breathing, shortness of breath
Skin eruptions like acne or rashes
Self-Protective armor/defensiveness
Deep seated grief or sadness
Meticulousness / perfectionism
Difficulties being emotionally open to new ideas or relationships, withdrawn.

Herbs that balance your lung energy…
At this time of year it is good to choose spicy foods like garlic, horseradish, onions, and hot peppers. These foods increase circulation, open the bronchioles and help thin mucus.
I often recommend Garlic soup at the first signs of a cold:

6 cloves garlic

16 ounces of vegetable or chicken broth

A variety of vegetables including spicy ones

Sauté the garlic in a little olive oil for about 4 minutes, add broth and vegetables. Cook at a low simmer until veggies are soft. Discard the veggies (unless you want to eat them) and pour out the liquid and put aside.

Drink a 6 oz. cup of hot garlic soup 3-4 times a day while fighting a cold or cough. It really helps shorten the duration of the cold.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm not going to wait for a cold or cough, I'm making it today.

XOXO
Joce

2 comments:

Rebz said...

So, I made the soup. It's soup-er. (I apologize for any eye-rolling or groaning you may be experiencing due to my terrible pun.) I used garlic, onion, horseradish, and a teeny tiny little piece of one super-hot pepper.
Yumm. To heck with the 6 ounces, I drank it all.
XOXO Joce

Anonymous said...

I love soups!!! I've been making them a lot since the temperatures have dropped. I crave spicey...cook with onions, garlic and throw in jalapenos (on my plate anyway). Mucinex (Guaifenesin) works wonders. I have a flemmy little guy who responds very well to a dose or two before it gets out of hand. He loves the powdered form. I take the pill form. It's keeps us from wandering into bronchitus.

About Me

About Me
I love Jesus, my hubby, my 6 kiddos, my farm, good books and good food.