Friday, May 30, 2008


I have always cherished a love for the antebellum south. (Not the slavery part, mind you. I think workers should be paid fairly for their labors and should have the right to unionize. I obviously have some beef with Walmart as well as slavery.)
So I was looking at a calendar in the work room of the church one day as I was waiting for copies to finish making themselves. One of the pictures was of Oak Alley Plantation. Located on the Mississippi River between the historic Louisiana cities of New Orleans and Baton Rouge, Oak Alley Plantation has been called the "Grande Dame of the Great River Road". The picture is tiny! So just click on it to see the whole album.
Inspiring
That picture just inspires me with its romance and history and grandeur. My jaw just drops and I stare. And my imagination goes wild. So, I thought I would share it with you for one of two purposes. One, you will respond in a likewise manner. Two, it will at least give you a glimpse into my heart and mind. And perhaps explain why I forgot to staple whatever it was I was copying. I wasn't in the here or now! I was in the then and there. I was a beautiful daughter of a cotton mogul with strong Northern sympathies regarding slavery, but with a strong sense of state's rights as well.
Ah, well, that's all for now. I have to go make breakfast for this little mooing girl. She's mooing because she is a cow this morning, that's why. (That's for you Pamela.)
XOXOX
Joce

3 comments:

Kara said...

WOW!!! I wanna go!

Anonymous said...

It reminds me of a planation in Biloxi, Mississipi. You could see the Gulf and the trees lined the walkway. I don't know if it still looks like that since Katrina. It was beautiful and took me to a happy place like "Gone with the Wind". Thanks for the reminder! By the way, how was Keuka Lake and all the amenaties???!!!! Heather

Pamela said...

Well, if a girl's a cow, then a girl's gotta moo.

I am so laughing at how my "that's why" is catching on. And I hear you about taking a mind trip like that.

About Me

About Me
I love Jesus, my hubby, my 6 kiddos, my farm, good books and good food.