Monday, March 01, 2010

Wow.

So, I like to cook. I like to think of myself as having made lots of yummy things in my lifetime. I may have reached my apex with a recipe that has been within arm's reach MY WHOLE LIFE. In the Red and White Better Homes and Gardens cookbook, which I have been using MY WHOLE LIFE (I honestly do not know how I overlooked this recipe for so many years), I may have found God's intention for the use of chocolate.

Chocolate Revel Bars
Prep: 30 minutes
Bake: 25 minutes

Ingredients
1 cup butter or margarine
2 cups packed brown sugar
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
3 cups quick-cooking rolled oats
1 14-ounce can (1-1/4 cups) sweetened condensed milk
1 12-ounce package (2 cups) semisweet chocolate pieces
1 cup chopped walnuts
2 teaspoons vanilla

Directions
1. Set aside 2 tablespoons of the butter or margarine. In a large mixing bowl beat the remaining butter or margarine with an electric mixer on medium speed for 30 seconds. Add brown sugar; beat until well mixed. Beat in eggs and 2 teaspoons vanilla. In another large bowl stir together flour and baking soda; stir in oats. Gradually stir dry mixture into beaten mixture. Set aside.

2. In a medium saucepan combine the reserved butter or margarine, the sweetened condensed milk, and chocolate pieces. Cook over low heat until chocolate melts, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat. Stir in walnuts and the 2 teaspoons vanilla.

3. Press two-thirds (about 3-1/3 cups) of the oat mixture into the bottom of an ungreased 15x10x1-inch baking pan. Spread chocolate mixture over the oat mixture. Using your fingers, dot remaining oat mixture over the chocolate.

4, Bake in a 350 degree F oven about 25 minutes or until top is lightly browned (chocolate mixture will still look moist). Cool on a wire rack. Cut into 2x1-inch bars. Makes about 75 bars.

Make-Ahead Tip: Line the baking pan with foil, extending the foil over edges of pan. Prepare and bake bars in foil-lined pan as above. Cool; lift bars out of pan on the foil. Place uncut bars in freezer bag or container. Seal, label, date, and freeze up to 1 month. Thaw bars at room temperature about 15 minutes. Once thawed, cut into bars.

Nutrition Facts
Servings Per Recipe about 75 bars Calories 117, Total Fat (g) 6, Saturated Fat (g) 2, Cholesterol (mg) 14, Sodium (mg) 52, Carbohydrate (g) 16, Protein (g) 2, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet



Yeah, I pretty much followed the recipe except I added 1/2 C peanut butter to the chocolate filling.

And, I made it in a 9X13 pan, so I had some of the oat stuff left over. I just added some peanut butter to that and some chocolate chips, rolled it into little balls and, voila- cookies. Good cookies, at that.

So, be good to yourself and your loved ones and make these. Today.

XOXO
Joce

3 comments:

Kara said...

mmmmmmm I need to make me some of those ASAP!

Pamela said...

now i know what you're talking about! somebody made these for the coffee table at church and i took that as my personal invitation to eat them all.

Manda said...

ouu...i too have skipped over this recipe in my bh&g cookbook! now you've got me excited to try it out.

About Me

About Me
I love Jesus, my hubby, my 6 kiddos, my farm, good books and good food.