Tuesday, March 16, 2010

It's like He's trying to tell me something...Or, Nancy Pelosi is a Goat

Honest to goodness, all I am doing is reading my Bible- and BAM! God speaks. Like, everyday.

James 5
Warning to Rich Oppressors

1Now listen, you rich people, weep and wail because of the misery that is coming upon you. 2Your wealth has rotted, and moths have eaten your clothes. 3Your gold and silver are corroded. Their corrosion will testify against you and eat your flesh like fire. You have hoarded wealth in the last days. 4Look! The wages you failed to pay the workmen who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord Almighty. 5You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves in the day of slaughter.[a] 6You have condemned and murdered innocent men, who were not opposing you.

I used to read right over this. "I am not rich," I said to myself. It didn't apply to me.

But then I read Crazy Love and Francis Chan has to go and tell me this: 52% of people in the world live on less than 2 dollars a day. 80% live on 10 dollars or less. FYI: That's 300 dollars a month. Total. We spend more than double that just for our house. Not to heat it or maintain it or have water or electricity. Just to have it.

I am loaded! Flush. Filthy stinking rich. I have never been hungry or cold.

I am rich. I am comfortably fat. My children are pink and chubby. And,

"according to UNICEF, 25,000 children die each day due to poverty."

If I am to love my neighbor as myself, my heart should break as if my own children are dying.

God, I pray You rip the callouses off my heart, and let me feel Your love for humanity.

I cannot help them all. But I could at least try to help one.

It's not that hard. Compassion International makes it easy. And rewarding in human terms- you get a picture and can write letters to your sponsored child.

At different Christian events I have attended in the past, Compassion International has always presented sponsoring a child as something nice to do. You know, it only costs what you spend on your latte, etc, etc.

I wish they had hit me over the head with "HEY! God says you better do it or go to hell! Your wealth will eat the flesh off your bones! You are fattening yourself for SLAUGHTER."

Yeah. I would like to hear a less complacent pitch from organizations that are helping the poverty-stricken people of the world. I am a little angry that I haven't heard this preached from a pulpit. When they talk about money it is about is tithing, which is important, but good gracious. God doesn't say "Depart from me you non-tither" He does say, "When I was hungry you did not feed me- go to the left." And by that, I am pretty sure he means hell. (Although some people might argue that He means "Go sit by Nancy Pelosi." Maybe it's the same thing.) I wish someone had pointed out that I am filthy rich and I need to FEED PEOPLE sometime prior to this.

I have been rich my WHOLE life. I have not been helping the poor my whole life. I am glad for God's grace, let me tell you.

Alright, I am not done, but my kids are ready for school, and my right babyfeeder is about to pop.

XOXO,
Joce

4 comments:

Pamela said...

nancy pelosi *is* a goat.

Hanna said...

Liberal. :P

Stephanie said...

I couldn't help but come read your post with a title like that!!

Been enjoying hearing about what God's been teaching you. It's good to share! And I've been similarly convicted lately. Not only about money, but also about how I spend my time.

God told me during prayer last week that how I spend my time is a reflection of him.

*my first thought was that I'd better cut back on facebook.*

No, but really - our time AND money are God's - not ours - and I want to glorify Him with both!!!

Stay on fire for Him, Jocelyn, and keep sharing what's He's teaching you!

Steph

Kara said...

Darn...you caught me red handed!

I need to pray from some compassion..really I do. I do nothing to support the poor (anymore) and am CALLED to do so. Really, CALLED.

Let's see where God takes me now.

xoxox, Kara (your long lost friend whom hasn't talked to you in 2 whole days)!!

(Ps. My word verification is BUTTDROWL, sounds gross..LOL)

About Me

About Me
I love Jesus, my hubby, my 6 kiddos, my farm, good books and good food.