Tuesday, January 15, 2008



The Teacher's Funeral, by Richard Peck.


Richard Peck is one of my favorite authors. I just finished reading his latest book, pictured above. His writing style consists of understated humor (my favorite kind) mixed with authentic details of country living, all surrounding an engaging plot. This book is about a 15 year old boy living in 1904 with his older sister Tansy, younger brother Lloyd, and his widower father. Two of my favorite parts of the story are when he sets the privy on fire behind the school house and when he and his schoolmate have to save an enormous old lady who got stuck in the ditch. Peck's books always inspire me to keep some of the good ol' ways alive and let my children experience real country living. That's why we keep chickens, complete with an attack rooster. As an aside, I had to kick his cocky butt across the barn the other day when he attacked my boot. Chickens kick especially well, I never knew a rooster would get such good height and distance. maybe that's why they call it a "birdie" in badminton.

Well, keep checking back here, and please post a comment. It is more fun when you comment.

XOXO

~Joce
PS Here's the bribe picture. Enjoy.

1 comment:

Carol said...

That sounds like a book I would enjoy too, that is a very interesting time period to me. For some reason I have been reading only biographies lately: Terri Irwin, Shemain Nugent, Amy Grant, Denise Jackson and Alan Alda...how strange is that list? I would like to read some more fiction though and am always up for suggestions. I'm also strangely (non-creepily) obsessed with the Amish culture too and reading about that.
On another note, I think you're brave dealing with that rooster..we had chickens years ago and I remember our rooster chasing me around the yard, he was mean!
And of course I have to say that's another cute picture of your little camo girl! Take Care.

About Me

About Me
I love Jesus, my hubby, my 6 kiddos, my farm, good books and good food.