Friday, November 08, 2013

The Secret

A gift sweet, salty, sipped.

1. Pomegranate
2. Chocolate covered peanut clusters
3. Hot toddy*

The secret:
"I read, 'The greatest thing is to give thanks for everything. He who has learned this knows what it means to live....He has penetrated the whole mystery of life: giving thanks for everything.' Breath leaves the lung.
I whisper in the dark: Eucharisteo!
It really might be the mystery to the fullest life....
I lie on relief. I might have found the holy grail... and lost it, moved on. And yet really- hadn't God se the holy grail in the center of Christianity? Eucharisteo, it's the central symbol of Christianity Thanksgiving. The table with its emblems is the essence of what it means to live the Christ-life. Sunday after Sunday in our nondenominational Bible church, we're formally invited to take the bread, the wine. Doesn't the continual repetition of beginning our week at the table of the Eucharist clearly place the whole of our lives into the context of Thanksgiving?
And too...it's the most common of foods, bread. The drink of the vine has been part of our meal taking across the centuries and cultures. Jesus didn't institute the Eucharist around some unusual, rare, once-a-year event, but around this continual act of eating a slice of bread, drinking a cup of fruit from the vine. First Corinthians 11:26 reads, "whenever you eat this bread and drink this cup" -whenever.
Like every day. Whenever we eat.
Eucharisteo---whenever: now. Joy---wherever: here."
~Ann Voskamp, One Thousand Gifts, p. 33-34

Philippians 4:6 Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

*where's your treasure?*
~Joce

 


*My mama always made me hot toddy whenever I needed warming up, inside or out. I think she always put a little nip of brandy in it. LOL.
Heat together in a small saucepan:
Apple juice or cider
Orange or lemon juice or slice
Honey
Cloves (whole or ground)
Cinnamon (stick or ground)
Brandy? or vanilla extract would probably do



No comments:

About Me

About Me
I love Jesus, my hubby, my 6 kiddos, my farm, good books and good food.