Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Mitford

I love Mitford. In my mind, it's the village of LeRoy, with an even lovelier main street.


Anyway, the main character is an Episcopal priest- Father Tim (I picture Saint Marks church in LeRoy, LOL). I love him! Seriously, I have to remind myself that the characters in the books are not real, and I don't need to pray for them during their struggles. LOL. You think that's a joke. It's not. I'm like, "Whoops! Sorry God, now I'll pray for real people."

I just finished the last book in the series, Out to Caanan. In it, I read about a prayer service where the congregation prayed the Prayer of Confession from the Common Book of Prayer. The author gave glimpses into how the prayer was ministering to a number of characters in the book, how it drew them closer to God, from whatever their starting point. And, I started to pray it along with them (I KNOW THEY ARE NOT REAL) and was reminded of the power of intentional confession. The United Methodist church I attended when very small had a time of silent confession every week. I remember actually calling to mind some specific sins and asking to be forgiven. Most churches do not bother with that anymore. I think it is a mistake. Let us confess our sins!

Here's the prayer from the book:

Most merciful God, we confess that we have sinned against you in thought, word, and deed, by what we have done, and by what we have left undone. We have not loved you with our whole heart; we have not loved our neighbors as ourselves. We are truly sorry and we humbly repent, for the sake of your Son Jesus Christ, have mercy on us and forgive us; that we may delight in your will, and walk in your ways, to the glory of your Name. Amen.
Episcopal Book of Common Prayer
 
I think I am going to memorize this. Sometimes it's hard to concentrate and remember every sin, but this just about covers it, and helps me call to mind the specific ways I have not loved God with my whole heart, and how I have not loved my neighbor as myself.
 
Join me?
 
XO

1 comment:

Charleen said...

I started this series in the middle, so I had to go back to the start for it all to fall into place. Yes, a great read!

About Me

About Me
I love Jesus, my hubby, my 6 kiddos, my farm, good books and good food.