Thursday, April 18, 2013

Little Angel

I am finishing a baby quilt I started when I was pregnant with my first baby. It's made from scraps of fabric- I was a college student, poor enough to actually make a quilt from scraps. I made up a pattern to fit the size pieces I had. It took me a long time to cut the pieces because I had some seriously dull scissors. But then that baby went to heaven before we even met. And I told Joe to get rid of those fabric pieces- I didn't want to see them. Smart man put them in a little package and put them out of sight. And they made the move to our apartment after we graduated. And they made the move to our first little house. And they made the move to the farmhouse where we now live.
At some point since we moved here, I found those fabric pieces. And I cried. And then my heart decided to finish turning them into quilt blocks. And then I laid them out and took pictures of each arrangement until I liked one best. And then I went to Joann's and bought some complimentary fabric for the edges and backing. And then I quilted them together by hand. And now I'm almost done. I want to embroider a little something on this precious little blanket. A little love note to my lost baby- a little note of solace to myself.

I am just gathering some quotes that might be the right ones for this task.

I found one by Barbara Kingsolver that made me cry-
"A miscarriage is a natural and common event. All told, probably more women have lost a child from this world than haven't. Most don't mention it, and they go on from day to day as if it hadn't happened, so people imagine a woman in this situation never really knew or loved what she had.

But ask her sometime: how old would your child be now? And she'll know."
- Barbara Kingsolver




And I found some that might make it to the quilt:

This is on account of my loving you forever.

Sometimes, the smallest things take up the most room in your heart.
-Pooh

If there ever comes a day when we can't be together, keep me in your heart, I'll stay there forever.
-Pooh

A person’s a person, no matter how small.
- Dr Seuss

It’s a happy life, but someone is missing. It’s a happy life, and someone is missing.
- Elizabeth McCracken

Out of these ashes, beauty will rise.
- Steven Curtis Chapman

I held you every second of your life.
-Stephanie Paige Cole

Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted
Matthew 5:4

He will wipe every tear from their eyes. Death will be no more; mourning and crying and pain will be no more.
Revelation 21:4

For love is as strong as death.
Song of Solomon 8:6

And a little prayer:
Dear Lord, I would have loved to have held my baby on my lap and told her about you, but since I didn't get the chance, would you please hold her on your lap and tell her about me?


12.

XO

No comments:

About Me

About Me
I love Jesus, my hubby, my 6 kiddos, my farm, good books and good food.