Friday, July 23, 2010

Who am I?

I asked God today to show me who I am in Christ.
This is a good way to start the day- to remember who I am. What I am. My state of being as a child of GOD.
What can I expect from myself as far as holy living goes? What if I start to feel bogged down by life? What if I start to forget my true value (God likes me and thinks I am cool) and start to focus on trivial things (like if people like me and think I'm cool).

Well, after praying about it, God directed me to this:

Romans 6
11In the same way, count yourselves dead to sin but alive to God in Christ Jesus. 12Therefore do not let sin reign in your mortal body so that you obey its evil desires. 13Do not offer the parts of your body to sin, as instruments of wickedness, but rather offer yourselves to God, as those who have been brought from death to life; and offer the parts of your body to him as instruments of righteousness. 14For sin shall not be your master, because you are not under law, but under grace.

For me, the sin that reigns pretty often in my mortal body is anger. I get really fired up sometimes. It's a physical thing, I feel it in my mortal body. But, I see in the verse above that I am not to let that sin reign in me. Instead, I am to offer myself to God- offer the parts of my body to him as instruments of grace. And then! Sin will not be reigning in my body, because I am using body for good.
If I remember to have my body doing God's work, there is no time for it to be doing sin's work.
And that brings me back to Crazy Love and true religion.

James 1
27Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.

If you are busy looking after God's creation, especially his people, there is no room in your body or in your life for sin.

It seems that when you are having trouble with your own self, it is in your best interest to look outward instead of inward. That's God- always doing things opposite of human wisdom. You would think if you are having trouble with self esteem or anger that you should focus on yourself and try to straighten things out. But God suggests getting over yourself and doing what he commanded- love your neighbor, baby.

Remember who you are. Remember what you are here to do. And everything else falls into place in God's perfect plan.

XOXO
Jocelyn

No comments:

About Me

About Me
I love Jesus, my hubby, my 6 kiddos, my farm, good books and good food.